Friday, February 6, 2015

our mentors are our mirrors


I am somebody who seeks mentorship anywhere I can. I know a mentor when I feel their impact in my heart and soul. They move me, motivate me and inspire me to be a better person. I aspire to fully live out my life as they do theirs. This comes in many forms – friends, colleagues, books, teachers, speakers, bloggers, movies and even strangers.

One misconception I have come to realize which I have with my mentors is that, in a way, I tend to put them on a pedestal. I see them in a light of perfection that feels beyond my grasp.  A belief exists within me which seems to teeter between unconscious and conscious, that says I will never be able to reach their status of 'perfection' or achievement because of my own self-imposed limiting beliefs about my capabilities and worth.

I and we must always remember that every situation and circumstance we encounter in life is a mirrored reflection of what is happening within us - both good and bad (reflecting on the mirror of the negative circumstances in life is for another post). That means that the people I look up to and yearn to be like, already exist within me, but have only not been realized yet.

The knowledge and wisdom of who, what, how and where I want to be is already within me. I can become all of those beautiful qualities which I so deeply admire of my mentors.  This can be achieved first with mindfulness of what I want to be – what satisfies my soul, the belief that I can and the consistent practice toward my purpose.
This is true for all of us.
 with love,
katie lain

No comments:

Post a Comment