Friday, February 20, 2015

transformational weight loss and weight stability = mind + body + soul connection


Like many other young females, I am somebody who at several points in my life experienced an eating disorder. I was "successful" at this disorder and at one point got down to nearly 100 pounds on my 5’5” frame. Everyone told me I was ‘too skinny’ and little did they know that was feeding my desire to be thin, and encouraging me to become even thinner.

In hindsight, believe my obsession with my weight and food management was largely attributed to my desire to control the situations I was in. Each time I fell back into my eating disorder, I was living in an unstable home/work/life environment – and by controlling my weight, in turn I felt I was controlling my circumstances which felt out of control.
To be honest, despite my unhealthy obsession with my weight and food, I loved the way I felt on a daily basis. I had a sense of confidence and my body felt really good.

There were however, always the low ‘relapse’ times where I would binge eat to the point of feeling like I couldn’t move. I believe this was because most of the time, my body felt like it was starving, so as soon as I would relax on my obsession, I would eat as much as I could to satisfy this hunger.

Through the starving and binging, there was a constant self-talk in my head. This self-talk was very harsh and hateful toward me. “You would look better if you just lost 5 more pounds.”  “You ate too much last night, you will look fat. Don’t eat another thing today.” And on and on. I was never loving to myself, always critical. I never considered the state of my health; it was about my physical appearance only. I look back at pictures now and can’t believe how skinny I look – but at the time, I still did not feel comfortable enough to run shirtless in a sports bra (my major goal at the time - which I felt I never reached).
The time came where I finally left my unhealthy, uncontrollable life situation, which I believe was the major cause of my eating disorder. This change happened within 24 hours and bam - I was in an entirely new state, with new people and a new job around me. My life circumstances were totally different to be honest, I was nervous about all the change, even though it was all for the better, I had a fear inside me that I wouldn’t have a reason (aka unsafe life situation) to control my weight. (side note, this sounds crazy to me now, but it is what I thought!) There was definitely a truth to this because I did gain weight back – about 20 pounds over the past two years.  Some of this was frankly done in binge eating – eating (and drinking) my emotions as I transitioned out of my bad situation. Feeling that the food was a comfort to me, then old habits kick in and I would starve myself again out of regret for eating so much. I have been in a battle with myself between letting go and falling back into the unhealthy obsession with my body and weight. However, I can truthfully say that I am improving.  Breaking those obsessive habits takes a true purpose and desire to – and also a true love of oneself.  Over the past two years, through a lot of ups and downs, I have become more consistent in my health practices. I have grown in love and compassion for myself which has resulted in me treating myself with kindness and respect, and a growing desire to take good care of myself... through mind, body and soul. 

I can also attribute this new found form of healthy ‘self-care’ and weight maintenance to the idea of transformational weight loss. This term is something I have heard many times, however, never fully understood what it meant. I thought the idea sounded nice, but how is it different than any other form of weight loss?  According to Life Coach Michelle Rober, she explains that, “transformational weight loss is the spontaneous experience of the body actually becoming lighter through the alignment of your thoughts, your beliefs and your actions. Transformational weight loss is the result of self-acceptance and the desire and commitment to live a more vibrant life (michellerober.com, Ditch Counting Calories & Discover the Secrets of Transformational Weight Loss).”  Please feel free to re-read that until it really sinks in, and check out her article as well!
The experience of living a vibrant life is the best feeling on earth. You develop a form of self-discipline (in the most positive of sense!) and self-care that is based on love for yourself. Your consumption decisions are no longer based on impulse or burning desire or craving, but more of a mindful approach to what the body, mind and soul need. Desires to binge and obsessive cravings subside – and a newfound respect for your SELF arises from within. It might seem easier said than done, or maybe this isn’t sinking in for you –but if this is a change you want to see yourself, start with the desire to change. For me, if I imagine myself as a 5-year-old child, my perspective automatically shifts to love for myself, and the desire to gently care for myself. Through practice, this will become more like second-nature – and you will feel more alive than you ever have before.

No comments:

Post a Comment